Lauren Todt is an American badminton player originally from California.  Lauren has been living in Denmark for a little over a year and a half now playing in the Danish badminton club leagues and the EBU circuit tournaments.  She is currently training at the International Badminton Academy under the guidance of Michael Kjeldsen and we spoke briefly with her about her experiences in Denmark and at the IBA.

12 Responses to Interview With American Badminton Player Lauren Todt

1. Nick Valoroso says:

This is truly inspiring….I am an American badminton player with basically the same exact problem…America has no badminton life haha….

What she is doing right now is what I dream of doing…But I don’t know how realistic that dream is, but with seeing someone from America actually playing and competing in Denmark makes me very happy.

2. Cuong says:

This also points out other problems in my opinion. Badminton opportunities and skills, and many other unrelated bits of society, rely on social status. If you have money, you get to do what she does and pay for skills. I’m not sure about other parts of the world but that’s how it works in the United States. And this sport holds true more than any others and that’s why badminton is not lively in the United States. If you don’t have money, then you’re just millions of other spectators playing ‘immature’ badminton and there is no pursuit professionalism. It’s a business, what else can you say? Lure in the $! And this video is to market for other players to come.

3. Emmet Gibney says:

Hello Cuong,

I just read your comment on the blog and wanted to respond to you. I understand your frustration with the lack of development of the sport in N. America, I myself live in Canada where badminton is similarly unpopular, and under developed.

However, I think it is unfair to Lauren for you to say that she has her skills because she paid for them. Lauren and her family have contributed a lot to badminton in California, and unless you know her personally you shouldn’t speculate on what her personal financial situation is. I know a lot of players, even at the IBA, who are far from rich. They coach to make ends meet, they play in the pro leagues in Denmark, and it’s all for the love of the game because they certainly aren’t going to become rich because they are successful in badminton, not like tennis or basketball. Many of these people are passing up much more lucrative careers in other fields to chase their dreams.

As for luring in $, I can assure you that badminton as a business is not the most profitable one you can be in. Apply the same effort to almost any other market and you can make 10 times or more, but it’s important to do something you are passionate about which is why we run this website, and why Michael Kjeldsen runs the academy in Copenhagen. Michael is a successful real estate investor, he does NOT make much profit from his academy, he does it because he loves badminton more than anything else. We can be cynical about people creating businesses around the sport, and ask that everything should be free, but by building these businesses we help the sport to grow.

Like I said before, I understand your frustration, however I think it would be more productive if when you disagree that you offer alternatives or suggestions as to how you think things should be. I am happy to discuss and debate badminton with anyone and everyone, just so long as we all offer the utmost respect to each other. Thanks for visiting our website, and for loving badminton :)

4. azero says:

Does anybody know how to qualify for these international badminton academies? For example, what are the requirements to qualify for the IBA in Denmark where Lauren is playing??

5. andrewlam says:

I am also curious, as to how to get into these international badminton academies. What are the qualifications needed to enter the international academies?

6. Eddie Smith says:

I think I have read somewhere that a world ranking inside the top 200 is needed.

7. Emmet Gibney says:

There aren’t any specific rules for getting into these academies. There were a handful of young players training there who had no ranking whatsoever, however they were very talented players with strong prospects for their future. Kim Bruun trains there, he is Viktor Axelsen’s main competition in Danish juniors, however Viktor has obviously made some massive improvements recently to pull away.

It’s pretty competitive to get in as a guy. If you aren’t very strong as a player you will end up training with the girls most of the time, but they are still really good to train with. I spent most of my time training with the girls while I was there, a lot of which was with Lauren who sometimes took games off me.

If you are a high ranking junior player in whatever country you are from then these kinds of academies are a good fit for you potentially. If you are not already doing well as a junior in your country, there are probably better ways for you to spend your money.

8. andrewlam says:

Are there any training opportunities for the people who are older than juniors?

9. Emmet Gibney says:

At IBA most of the players are between 21-28 I would say. However, the older you are, the better you had be in order to get in usually.

It really all depends on what your current level is. Send me a private message with some more of our details and I’ll have a better idea or what could be available for you :)

10. JWLee says:

Im unable to read all the comments posted up. Why? Please help. Tq.

11. George Cullamat says:

no matter how young or old you are as long as you have passion with the sports (badminton) everything will follows. you will start to find good badminton matches in order to copy their movements and techniques, start to research basic and effective footwork, in general you will become resourceful as far as badminton is concern in order for you to become a better player or even a great player.

12. Ts Chan bernard says:

After watching the video clip .. What i can share is that Lauren has the potential to become world beater…from my personal point of view that she need to work out and improve her footwork…like agility movement, skipping, shadow training etc that related to footwork. Multi shuttle drill are more to speed and court control skill which is i think fall under game practise.
    Any comments and suggestion are most welcome .. regards