What Level of Badminton Player Are You?

On April 23, 2009, in Instructional, by Emmet Gibney

The game has changed so many times for me over the years. It’s so much different for me now, than it was when I was a kid. As you progress you see things differently, and in many ways you get more from the game.

Playing at a recreational level is fun for a lot of people. You get to go out and have a hit with some friends, nothing too intense, but it’s good fun.

Then there are the players at the competitive level. You go to tournaments locally, but you never really go anywhere outside of your hometown for badminton. You like to compete, but you’re not really all that serious about it.

Next you have the high level competitive players. You go to tournaments locally, but you also play tournaments within your region and country. Likely you’re a junior player, but that’s not always the case. You have an interest in improving your game, but you’re not quite a national level player. Seeing improvements in your game, and beating people you couldn’t before really inspires you to work even harder.

What if you’re a national level player you’re like me. I have played all over the country, and have even played a few tournaments internationally, not to mention covering badminton tournaments I have seen the biggest of the big. You probably aspire to making it to these big events one day, and playing for your country.

Finally you have the international level players. These are varied as well, with the top players from your respective countries, all the way up to the best in the world. Getting to this level you’ll get so much more from the sport than anyone else does. That’s the thing with this sport, the better you get, the more enjoyment you can pull from the game. Of course there are highs and lows, but there is a reason why people keep going, because they love it.

What type of player are you? What do you aspire to? Leave a message in the comments to let us know.

215 Responses to What Level of Badminton Player Are You?

1. Albert says:

I would have to say that I would be a “competitive” player by your definition. I play locally, but I haven’t really gone anywhere that far away to play, I’m not good enough to do that yet.

2. Henry says:

I’m a recreational player, but I know all of the top players… Malaysia Boleh!!

3. Daniel says:

Not sure how to qualify myself but played seriously in the 80s as one of the top players in NB but not as strong as national player acct a small province. Got the chance to meet Morten Frost in those years and got regular tips from Mike Butler (5 years canadian champion). Now a club player with a family who like to play and secretly hates loosing.

4. Nich says:

Well would class myself as being a “B” level player here in Manitoba having moved out to Canada from the UK 7 months ago. Part of a competatitve group coached by former olympians Pal Chawla and Anil Kaul. Working hard to crack into the “A” level soon! Good advice given to me by coaches and players, in particular David Snider the Canadian Number 2.

5. john says:

I would say I am about a beginner. I’ve been playing for 3 years though i didn’t start training till about a year ago. I am rank like 37 or something in province, so not good.

6. Genevieve says:

I would say I am about a compete player but I would like to be a high level player. I’ve been playing badminton for years and since last year, I am doing provincial competition. For next season, I will be a B provincial player in Quebec.

7. lynn michel says:

I have played badminton for years..I play competitively..a level B player..a coach at a college…no formal training..I thouroughly enjoy it even more now than before..I like seeing improvements and would apprecialte all the tips I can get for myself and for my students

8. Mat says:

I’d say I’m a competitive player, but I’m moving torwards the «high level competitive».

9. Emmet says:

Whereabouts are you all from?

10. Anthony Chartier says:

I’m more of an aspiring badminton player myself. I try to play 2 or 3 times a week at least. Actually I just moved out to Ottawa from Edmonton.

11. Pat says:

I guess i’m between recreational and competitive level. Only started a while ago, with no training. now, looking back, wish i started earlier and joined a club

12. David says:

I would have to say I am a recreational type player and want to improve my game. I would like to improve so then I may be able to compete. I’m a doubles / mix doubles player and getting tips would be greatly appreciated.

13. Gill Clark says:

I used to play badminton competitively, but now play just for fun (in my late forties) after a break from the game of nearly 20 years – it’s great to be back! (The scoring changes threw us for a while though!) I’m still extremely competitive in nature, though I can enjoy it more now than I did as a youngster, when I was extremely fit. I used to play for Middlesex Polytechnic (now University) in the university ladies and mixed doubles team, and in the Barnet (Herts) local league. We all greatly increased our skills by playing against better players: the ladies team used to practise against the men from the doubles team! We had Malaysian junior champions in the men’s team, so our ladies learnt to play some fast and furious defensive and attacking shots, and to be very accurate. That was the only way to win – as far as I remember, we did occasionally beat them!

14. Timothy says:

I am a young badminton player, used to play recreationally for school, but now i have gotten the competitive ‘drive’ and hope to constantly improve the level of my playing. I’m currently only really a B grade player but really wish to move to a national level. It’s a long way to go! But I think that by playing better players than myself, learning constantly from coaching that i hope to recieve beyond Australia, and maintaining this motivation, I can hopefully reach that high standard to badminton playing.

15. hi.
    i am a young player from singapore!i represent my school to play in the local tournaments. I am not want of the top players in my school. there are people way much better than me. i would like to improve my footwork and speed so that i will be able to compete with players who are much much much better than me.

16. Benjie Owen says:

I’m from Malaysia. I might say i’m at the competitive level nowdays(in early thirties). During my younger years the highest level i might have reached was at the Junior Level but only as a reserved player(singles). My interest in playing badminton and improving on the sport has been growing more and more. Mostly i play MD or XD nowadays(recreational & local tournaments). As i get older i want to pass on my badminton knowledge to younger players and become a coach. I have yet to improve on my stamina and find my prodigy. Majulah Sukan Untuk Negara!

17. Renee says:

I used to play recreationally, but now I’ve been playing competitively in high school for 2 years. I had to beat many of my friends from the freshman team to barely get on to Junior Varsity, and they all used to be higher ranked than me. Now since I barely made the team, I want to improve my game to make Varsity and not be worried about try-outs, but most of my teammates are stronger players who use their power to their advantage while I’m stuck using placement. Last year, there were more Freshmen accepted onto the team, which means even more competition. My coach recommended that we all sign up for a badminton camp, but I don’t have much time this summer, and none of the camps fit my schedule. Also, my racquet string snapped at my last game, and I can’t find a good place to restring it in the Northern suburbs of Chicago.

18. Andrew says:

I played at “high-level competitive” for several years, with a few national tournaments, but little national success (in Canada).

I’d like to start training again, and maybe return to that level for the enjoyment of the game.

19. Tommy says:

i’m, by your definition, a high level competitive player. And i always find it great fun to play badminton – not matter what level. of course i like to play high level more than playing with my friends who are not playing on a regular basis :)

20. Emmet Gibney says:

Where do you play? Are you a junior or a senior player?

21. Per Juul says:

I am and old very serious player – still playing in the danish divisions and in veterans I am among the best in the world. I play 5-7 times a week and doing strenghts training and other kind of training – I want to be world champion in my age, and trying to learn all the time and to keep my body as shaped as possible

22. graham wells says:

I am a level 2 Badminton England coach.
    Coached County juniors for the last seven years,but with 50 years of qualified coaching.
    Intrested in junior coaching.

23. senthil kumar says:

i am a player who plays for regular fitness and entertainment with seriousness over the game.played local tournaments a couple of times. i am 40 years old , 6’1″ with slim body

24. DL says:

Play competitively and do well overall. Not really interested in traveling too far. Becomes too expensive, however, if the competition comes to that area, I will compete. Still wish to improve aspect of the game areas. Can always find space to improve, but not looking for International standard. Probably the step to National.

25. Jacynthe Lacroix says:

Hi,

I’ve been playing badmint for 18 years now. I started at the recreational level at first, than I went to the provincial level, and now I’m back at the recreational level with some local tournaments. I just love playing badminton because it’s a way for me to unwind. I am constantly looking to improve my game, even though I’m not at the provincial level anymore. Hope I can get some good tips from this website.

26. Jason says:

Guess I’d have to say I’m a competitive player, I play locally and in tournaments outside my city every now and again. I like to compete, but wish I was a better player. I’m young adult player, but feel like I’ve been at the same level for too long!

27. twinni says:

i am 13 and no longer play competitive badminton due to a knee injury but i played for school county regional and
    england under15 s a number of times a had a sponsorship with fleet my rackets were free and i have all the top end rackets i had the chance to enter international tournaments but was unable to travel

28. nutan says:

I was a good Badminton player in Nepal till 20 years before.I’m 67 running now n hve no practice now. Recently moved to Des Plaines Il. I wanna meet a vetran or any player who can play wid me js for recreation and fun.

29. tommy charles says:

Hi, I have been playing badminton here in Vietnam for the last 16 years, I am an American, which is a rarity for a badminton player and especially here in Vietnam, I have played competively here and in Bangkok, Taiwan. I am the coach at Taipei School in HCMC, Vietnam. My coach is a former world class player when he was young from Hong Kong and because of correct training my level and passion for the game keeps increasing. Badminton is a continuos learning game and any information and training tips generated from this site is appeciated. Thanks for creating this site and keep up the good work.

30. I am 53 old and play in Florida for the last 14 years. I play 2-3 times a week and doing some drills. Not much competition around here, and we play at recreational level. but I want to learn to keep my body as shaped as possible.

31. Kalidas Banerjee says:

Hi,
    I started playing Badminton at the age of 8 in India.I have played for my school and college.Since 40 years I am living in Germany.
    In Germany I have played nearly for 15 years in the 2nd Bundesliga.I have won different titles last 25 years.
    Now I am coaching children in schools and clubs.I need ideas to motivate them.

32. Koen says:

I started playing recreational badminton as a kid and stopped for a while. Since 4 years i’m playing recreational and this season i joined a team to play in the lowest class in the Netherlands.
    I want to become a compettetive player. I am fanatic, but am always looking for a balance together with fun.
    My aim is not to become the best, but the best as i can.

33. Ruth says:

I have played badminton for years. I am 40+ and from the UK now living in Australia. I play competitive badminton locally and on the veterans circuit. I have had a little basic coaching when I was younger and that has helped build my game but I would love to improve my game and overall fitness ….just because I enjoy it and its fun. I have a competitive streak but not obsessively so. I always believe I can play better. I would love to read more tips and advice on how to ‘read’ the game, positioning, which shots when and of course about how to improve my own racquet control and movement. I play doubles, ladies and mixed and prefer mixed.

34. Dse says:

I am started as a recretional player. Now I start to be competitive locally. Eventhough, I want to make badminton well known as basketball or football in U.S.

35. Lloyd says:

I have been playing badminton on and off for the past 20years at recreational level. I still have fun but I feel the level where I should be has past. I think it’s too late to be an international level pplayer for me at 33 and don’t really see myself as a national player either. I do think I can be a regional level though and that’s what I aspire to. Living in North London UK I hear there a quite a few good clubs. I still consider myself a novice but would like to improve my strategy and power aspect of my game… oh also my back hand.

Also wanted tips on types of racquet for my game recently ordered the Arc saber10 Yonex at a really great price… wondering if it’s fake now?

36. Norbu Dradhul says:

well i guess im competitive level i.e… when i play with my friend i often loss the game in order to get the concept of badminton foot steps and hand movement to make it faster and in competition i try to give my best and also put my skill that i have learned>.<

37. Emma says:

In high school, I played varsity badminton. Now, almost 4 years later, I play recreationally. I would love to play locally, but I’m not as good as I used to be.

38. Bojo says:

I am a competitive club player and used to play in lots of tournaments until a back injury stopped me playing for a couple of years

39. Jean-Sébastien says:

I am a competitive player and would love to be a high level competitive player. I’m doing some tournaments, but not enough that I would love too.

40. Diana says:

I am a competitive badminton player. My high school team has won team counties 3 years in a row!

41. Ed says:

I used be a recreational player, but just started to getting into competition. Iv been picked for a low level lague team here in england, but no matches yet. Want to one day compete internationally, but alot of damn hard work and research just to know how to train and etc, one day hopefully though .

42. Samson says:

I’m a competitive player and coach from Germany. Unfortunately too old (over 30) to play on a top level. But I try to get as good as I can.

43. Marc says:

I never considered myself a “competitive” player for the simple reason that I’m not drawn to tournaments. I do try to be the best player I can be, though, and have high standards for myself. In college I could beat all but a select few of the players in the school’s team (2nd in the province), with the strongest team yet. My physical condition was average, so all my wins were purely technical and tactical.

Now I’m much more serious about my physical condition, and I still feel I have a long way to go, being better than myself every time around. Don’t hold any material back on me! ;)

44. connie says:

As of the moment, I would like to think that I’m still at the recreational level. I started playing when I was just 10 years old, joined the school tournament and competed in the regional level. But after a year or two, I got burnt out so I stopped. Played for fun in highschool and college, not really that serious because of my short attention span. Now that I’m 23 years old, I’m rediscovering the wonders of badminton all over again. It’s like having a relationship the nth time around. So far I’m enjoying it because of the new friends I’m making. I just hope my interest wont leave me just yet……=)

45. katie says:

i am mint

46. andy says:

i am apsalootly rubbish lol

47. Vinod says:

I was a high level competitive player 10-15 years back.
    Now i am interested in getting my children into National/international level.

48. Paulo says:

Competitive level. My son is 14 and is in between high/ national level. He´s training every day for 2 or 3 hours and is improving a lot lately. I can´t beat him playing singles. In doubles, with my usual partner is much easier.

49. Zer0 says:

hi! I’m 14 y/o and i would say that i am a high level competitive player. because i like to improve my game and I’ve gone to national tournaments here in the Philippines like the 2009 Yonex – Sunrise Philippines national open. and i really like to defeat everyone on the court. i aspire to become one of the best. thanks for the articles you’re giving I really find it helpful to improve my game. :)

50. mskwan says:

I am probably a provincial ‘D’ level player in Alberta. I have been training for a few years now. My footwork is very impressive and still need to work on my shots and mental game.