Interview: 1997 World Champion Peter Rasmussen

On April 21, 2009, in Podcasts, by Emmet Gibney

Interview audio recording with Peter Rasmussen

Here is an interview I did with Peter Rasmussen, the 1997 World Champion. Peter is very well known in the international badminton scene as being one of the best Danish badminton players in recent history. Peter had to retire because of nagging injuries, but he left his mark on the badminton tour nonetheless. Here are some highlights from the show:

-Peter wasn’t a star his whole career, he didn’t start showing real results until his late teens

-Peter was only 22 years old when he won the World Championships

-Peter participated in the two longest matches in badminton history (1997 world championships and danish nationals against Peter Gade)

-After working with a new coach, and learning his methods Peter saw major improvements over a short period of time

-As a result of this coach, Peter plays a much more “Asian” style than most Danes, we also go over what this means

-Peter talks about his training methods, and Bushido philosophy

-And much, much more!

11 Responses to Interview: 1997 World Champion Peter Rasmussen

1. Richard Auw-yang says:

Eventhough I am already 58 years old and only played badminton when I was 41 years old, I always want to improve myself because I love the sport.

2. Sia says:

I’m a 14 year old badmintonplayer from Denmark ;D It’s so cool that Peter was trained by a chinish trainer. I want that so much!

3. Rubina says:

I am a 14 year old player from India…As my dad is in the army we keep on moving from place to place…So I haven’t got any one particular to teach me…Though I have seen people playing I try to learn by only seeing and practicing those shots…And thanks to you that I can now play cross court shot…

4. sneha says:

i’m of 22 and i’m beginer in this game.i love badminton and played for my state.
    But now i’m involved in my engineering studies.
    But i want to play.
    i’ve a question, in this age can i play and reach the top,as other starts in very early age.

5. Wai says:

same question. I’m 29. Just started playing two years ago. what level can i reach?

6. nishith says:

I played badminton upto junior level than gave up when i joined my present job about 20 years ago. Then an opportunity came when inter departmental tournament was organised. I led my team to runnersup position. That gave me lot of satisfaction as well as made lots of friends. So my advice to both Sneha and Wai is that play for the enjoyment of the game and if you are sincere and have got your basic technique right you can always attain a level-whether international, nationa, organisational or any age group event. Best of luck

7. the hero 1 says:

i am 21 years old.i am playing the for 5 years now what can i do to improved my to international player

8. mohith says:

i am a 19yr old engineering student. is it possisble for me to reach a good professional level if i try now??

9. Emmet Gibney says:

It’s not impossible, but very difficult. It depends on what your current level is. If you are just starting and have no experience then it’s probably too late for you. However, if you have been playing competitively for a little while then you have a chance, you just need to find the right coach and work VERY hard. Best of luck!

10. Robbie.au says:

Great interview, I agree wholeheartedly with Peter regarding training, and keep on training until you master the techniques.
    Also his comments on Bushido philosophy/martial arts and badminton mental strength building. I use a similar philosophy as I studied martial arts earlier in life. I really helps in focus, observing your openent, relaxation under pressure, determination for achieving perfection in technique as much as just winning. Naturally a win is great, but you inside was it your best game. Or should you train some more, a life long development goal.

11. winnie says:

I am 19 years of age.I have played this game but not for long.but i believe i got the potential and what it takes to be a champion.have i got the chance to make it to that level if i start training again?
    is there any coach in london,unitid kingdom that you can recommend because i am a business student and its difficuit for me too move to Denmark?